Translate

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Dirt-shoveling for a Higher Purpose

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

Exhausted and Satisfied

Daylight into the evening enabled Pat and me to shovel and wheel and shovel and wheel and shovel and wheel and shovel and wheel and shovel and wheel...Two and a half cubic yards of soil, and two and a half more to go.

At midday, a dump-truck left five cubic yards of dirt in the middle of our driveway. Pat wanted it for the garden she's building in the backyard. After work, I loaded and re-loaded and re-loaded the big wheel-barrow and dumped and dumped and dumped the dirt wherever she directed me.

Standing on the pile with a shovel, I was reminded of Rosalie's funeral a few weeks back. Rosalie was the mother of Gary, my brother-in-law. All of us were asked to add a shovel-ful to Rosalie's grave in accordance with Jewish tradition.

At Rosalie's shivah afterwards, Gary's brother's wife told me how they have buried a few horses because, "They're members of the family, too, but it actually takes a bulldozer." I stood there shoveling this evening, feeling good at the contrast of this shoveling to all of that shoveling. This shoveling was to enable living things to grow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just noticed the mention of my mom. May she rest in peace. It's wonderful to have a sister-in-law who cares, and thinks about things, as much as you do.

Sarah Siegel said...

I was sad that we lost your mom and didn't expect you to see this, but thanks for your kind comment.

Helena said...

Greaat blog