Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2013

New Year Reflections

Prompted by Questions from Our Rabbi

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.

In a Shanah tovah / Happy Jewish New Year greeting to congregants, Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum asked:

Think back on the year since last Rosh Hashanah...Where have you been this year?

    • Geographically
    • Emotionally
    • Relationship-wise
    • Work-wise
    • Friendships
    • Family
  • Who have you lost this year?
  • Who have you become?
  • What makes you proud?
  • What makes you ready to face some changes?
  • How have you spent your time? Your money? Your love?
  • What would a chart of your year look like with highs and lows?
  • Where do you want to be next year at this time?
  • What relationships can be given a little help right now?
  • What phone calls are you putting off?
  • What cemetery visits haven't you done that you've wanted to do?
  • What conversations have you avoided?

Just seeing these questions reminded me of how I miss this blog. At its best, it lets me make sense of my experiences and re-live them through writing about them. And yet, I've gone from blogging an average of ~three times a week, 2007-2009, to a bit more than twice a month on average. And where I was tweeting, on average, at least once daily, as well as posting to Facebook daily, since mid-yearish, it feels like I'm tweeting three times a week and not posting on Facebook daily.

How do my reflections breathe air when I'm posting them less frequently? Am I talking more with people face to face, using photographs to express myself now more so, or am I reflecting less often? Maybe it's all of these.

The rabbi's questions tempt me to pray about my hopes in response to a number of them and I'll yield to that temptation here:

God, please help me to be visibly adaptable, appreciative, attentive, compassionate, fair, giving, grateful, useful, wise, idea-filled, receptive to others' ideas, resilient, healthy, hopeful and humorous. Amen.

No comments: