Translate

Thursday, July 1, 2021

On the Occasion of Our 10-year Legal Marriage Anniversary

Twenty-nine years together

A decade of legal marriage

Pat's tapered hands

Can't wear our wedding ring

During swims.

On our first date, Pat said,

"You'll never find anyone

Better than me."

Pat doesn't get poetry.

Maybe if she's the subject,

It will make better sense.

Paris, a Chicago dance club,

Was the site of our earliest

Classically romantic moments.

Pat would slow-dance with me,

her eyes, messaging mine.

Pat says she lured me with

Her cooking, and that's partly

True.

All these years, and four homes

Later, she encouraged me to 

Continue loading water into the

Redbud gators in the deep sun of

This Memphis July morning by

Calling to me from the front step,

"I'm making you an omelet with

Baby bella mushrooms."

No comments: