Translate

Friday, December 21, 2007

So Happy I'm Sad

The postings on this site ares my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

From Mattafix to Michael Franks

At 3:30 pm, I left IBM at Subramanya Arcade, Building 1, singing to myself, "I don't know why I'm so happy and sad..." which is how I always remember Michael Franks' great song, though the lyrics are actually, "...so happy I'm sad...."

My happiness was more of a satisfaction at surviving and ultimately mostly thriving in India, and my sadness stemmed from saying so long to sweet colleagues and not knowing the future. I might never be back in India again, or I might. In 2005, I didn't know when I'd have occasion to return and look at me now.

Was there another IBM location in the world that sat by a mosque, and across from a Hindu temple and goatherd? One of the goats, I noticed yesterday, was dyed hot pink. I don't know why.

How far I was from the IBM site, where I worked in the early part of the decade, at Madison Ave. and 57th St. in NYC.

Now, returning, effectively, to what I know, I need to stay inspired. Fortunately, for what seemed like the third time this week, during my commute today, I heard the song that includes the powerful, hopeful lyrics, "You shall rise." I found it on YouTube.

The best part of the lyrics were, "...where others turn and sigh, you shall rise," and "...Sooner or later, we must try living." At lunch today, an Indian colleague asked that I mentor her. We agreed that both of us have a radical education philosophy, that is, that *the* purpose of education is to inspire social change.

I figured that she'd keep me from feeling too alone in my idealism and that our joint enthusiasm really might change some part of the world for the better. I said, "Yes."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From one educational radical to another, I believe your Indian colleague is lucky to have you as a mentor.
Can't wait to see you!
Kathy

Sarah Siegel said...

This is coming to you from Heathrow, where I hear an Israeli on his cell phone and see "Unlocking the DNA of the Adaptable Workforce," a report from IBM, along with an amazing array of magazines, including: "Scottish Woman;" "Hello;" "Orient-Express Magazine;" and "Elite: The Private Jet Lifestyle Magazine."

I'm so over-stimulated by everything being so western.

See you soon!