Translate

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Memory Trigger

The postings on this site ares my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

Pulled By "Hadassah" Magazine

The new issue came in today's mail. I opened the front cover and was captivated by the woman featured in the Ahava skincare product ad. It was like smelling the eucalyptus leaf a few weeks ago at the Bannerghatta National Park outside of Bangalore and being back in my sabta's (grandmother's) living room in Israel, with her offering me a eucalyptus candy or cough-drop.

When I saw the woman, I thought, What silky, strong chocolate-brown hair and beautifully matching eyes she has....She's so classically, beautifully Jewish in her coloring....She reminds me of...quickly, I remembered a Sabra liqueur ad with a gorgeous man and woman from the early-70s. Probably, I saw it in "Hadassah" magazine then, too. I remembered staring at the couple, thinking that something about their coloring and features seemed edible, like candy, and comparing them repeatedly, and concluding that even as handsome as the man was, the woman moved me more so.

I thought I had plumbed every early clue to my lesbianism till seeing that ad tonight and remembering the Sabra ad. At that early point in my life, I thought that the Sabra woman was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen.

Looking back at the current issue at the Ahava ad some more, I see that it's actually a signed photo of Kristin Davis, who has gorgeous, candy-like skin.

Only smells and music, I had thought prior to tonight, could so viscerally trigger a vivid memory. I wish I could find the original ad to which I'm referring. Maybe it wasn't even for Sabra; otherwise, perhaps it was an Israel tourism ad. The guy had a bit more than 5 o'clock shadow and a deep chin-dimple and blue eyes, and the woman reminded me of a more breathtaking version of Davis -- I can't even remember all of the specifics about her features -- just that they mesmerized me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Kristin Davis Jewish??? With a name like Kristin, I doubt it. I'm not much of a Sex and the City devotee, but isn't she the one who is the innocent foil to the others?

Sarah Siegel said...

I don't know if she is Jewish or not, but her features reminded me of the woman in the Sabra/Israel tourism ad from the '70s -- whose religion and ethnicity I can't confirm either. I thought about what I was trying to say by "classically, beautifully Jewish in her coloring" as I wrote that phrase and recalled that anyone can have dark brown hair and brown eyes, but that from my frame of reference, I'm reminded of Jews when I see that combo -- Indians, Latino/as, Chinese and "black Irish" are known for it as well...which might be Kristin Davis' ethnicity. Who knows?

I can't answer your other question either, unfortunately, as I can't relate to "Sex and the City" and so I watched only one episode.

Fike2308 said...

jewish people are similar to italian, spanish, arab. there is a chance kristin has jewish ancestry, but was probably raised christian. might even be atheist if shes smart.

Anonymous said...

I'm fairly sure she's not Jewish. She visited Israel a few years ago and talked about the fact that her character was a convert to Judaism. If she was Jewish herself she would have surely mentioned it.

She's also, yes, named "Kristin", and is from South Carolina, which at one point actually had the biggest Jewish population in the U.S., but not so much these last 100 years or so.