Translate

Saturday, January 19, 2008

ProtoShane

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

Circa 1989

This week's "New York" magazine has a photo of Shane, the character from "The L Word," in the Low-brow + Brilliant quadrant of its weekly grid, with the caption, "Lesbian Lothario," if I remember correctly. (In the "High-brow + Despicable" category, they mention Andy Rooney's recent "60 Minutes" segment on the current candidates having insufficiently presidential names. I blogged about my annoyance about that last week and feel vindicated.)

Here's what I've been wanting to blog about all day, but till now, felt too sheepish:

It might not be an exaggeration to say that from 1988-91, I pursued romance with nearly all of North-side Chicago's single lesbians, and some South- and West-side ones, too, plus a number from nearby Evanston -- the femme, the jock, the bulimic, the incest-survivor, the lawyer, the alcoholic, the rich kid, the union-loyal trades person, the grad student, the woman with a disability, the pre-transition trans man, who at the time presented as femme, the bookworm, the GED earner....

Having been with Pat for 15 monogamous years, that time feels like a dream -- sometimes a good one and often a nightmare -- and I was reminded of it today when I woke up.

In my e-mail in-box, I saw an e-mail thread, where the writers were trying to track down "10% Show" footage and one of them mentioned that one of "The 10% Show" hosts had been her "...first Chicago lover!!! Too funny!"

I read her statement and looked at her name again and said to myself, "She's gotta be mistaken. *I* was one of the hosts of "The 10% Show."

Not sure who *she* is referring to...and then I recalled, oh yeah! For about a minute, we were involved nearly 20 years ago. She wanted to have physiological confirmation for all of the imagining I believe she had mostly done till then, and there I was....She ended it, if I remember correctly.

Here's the immature thing I did today: Since I had been the dumped one, after reading the note and acknowledging our past, brief history to myself, I simply sent an automated invitation to join my LinkedIn network, so that she could see how well I had done since then.

No comments: