Translate

Monday, December 27, 2010

Teena Marie: Magic

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

Need to Photograph, Scan & Post My Roller Skates in Tribute

Teena Marie, who died at only 54 last night, was among the best musical reasons to go on when I was a teenager.

Her music was the soundtrack for so much of my rollerskating, and then rollerblading, solo-sessions from 13-27. Moving to her music on or off my skates, she made me feel romantic, joyful, soulful, even beautiful, and in good company....If she could sing this great music that played mostly on "urban contemporary," i.e., Black radio stations, then it also made sense that I, a Jewish girl in the suburbs, loved listening to it.

This feels like when Aaliyah died, since I love both of their voices, but Teena Marie's death reminds me that my adolescence definitely has passed.

Comfort-Kitty

The thing about cats is that they don't comfort their human parents reliably the way that dogs are famous for doing. I'm just lucky that it's warm behind the computer and Phoebe's little face is facing me while I grieve and write and listen to a YouTube Teena Marie playlist in parallel.

In tribute, I'll re-post a Facebook note I responded to here:

My Life as Teena Marie Song-titles
by Sarah Siegel on Sunday, July 12, 2009 at 9:35am

"Using only song names from ONE ARTIST, cleverly answer these questions. Pass it on to 15 people you like (or think will actually do this) and tag me. Try not to repeat a song title. It's harder than you think."

Your Artist: Teena Marie

Are you male or female: If I Were a Bell

Describe yourself: Ooh Wee

How do you feel about yourself: Still in Love

Describe where you currently live: Out on a Limb

The first thing you think of when you wake up: It Must Be Magic

If you could go anywhere, where would you go: Behind the Groove

Your favorite form of transportation: Don't Look Back

Your best friend is: You're All the Boogie I Need

Your favorite color is: Midnight Magnet

What's the weather like: 14K

If your life were a TV show, what would it be called: Ooo La La La

What is life to you: Squarebiz

What is the best advice you have to give: Work It

If you could change your name, what would it be: A Rose by Any Other Name

Your favorite food is: I Need Your Lovin'

How I would like to die: Just Us Two

My soul's present condition: Jammin'

The faults I can bear: Young Love

How would you describe your love life: Since Day One

What are you going to post this as: My Life as Teena Marie Song-titles

No comments: