Translate

Friday, December 31, 2010

Michigan: Day One Memories

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

Poem

Never saw the country west of
Pennsylvania prior to Day One of
My Freshman year in Ann Arbor.

Do you also try to be reminded of
More familiar people, places et al
When you are in a strange environment?

State Street reminded me of a patch of
Downtown New Canaan -- just for a moment --
And that calmed me.

Where are you from? So many held up hands
Like Mittens and pointed to a spot with
Their other hand.

Benton Harbor...Birmingham...Bloomfield Hills...
No suburbs I'd ever heard of. What was I doing
There?

Michigan was more foreign to me than Israel,
where I had a grandmother, aunt and many cousins.
Michigan squirrels had dark-orange-ish, not gray, fur.

No comments: