The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Pluses and Minuses Since Friday
- Loss: No more bonus stimulation of part-time graduate school.
- Gain: Columbia-blue regalia ownership, and opportunity to don the ensemble for graduation on 15-16 May.
- Loss: Friend Riva being in metro-New York for just a few days.
- Gain: Friend Riva teaching me about pouncing as we toured Dürer and Beyond at the Met.
- Loss: Pat leaving for her annual golf trip in Tennessee.
- Gain: Renewal of my appreciation for Pat while missing her presence.
- Loss: Finishing my colleague Alysa Turkowitz's dissertation on how LGBT grad students navigate the classroom; I wanted it to continue, like a good movie or book.
- Gain: Honor at having been among the interviewees included in Alysa's dissertation.
- Loss: Sunday relaxation.
- Gain: The opportunity to prepare for a hugely important meeting at work.
- Loss: Lap-time with our feline daughter Phoebe during a two-day, off-site workshop in New York City.
- Gain: Two-day workshop on how to help a key population with its learning needs.
- Loss: My cousin Joe Silverman (z"l), to Parkinson's, Pneumonia and a stroke, just a couple of nights ago.
- Gain: Memories of Joe's and Joy, his wife's, kindness to my family after the death of my dad (z"l) in 1982.
- Loss: Maurice Sendak (z"l), an icon from my childhood, who drew the most appealing stories he could imagine.
- Gain: Learning that Maurice Sendak was gay and had a 50-year companion via this obituary
- Loss: Rain on and off since Friday.
- Gain: A front-garden full of pale- and dark-purple irises.