Translate

Thursday, March 27, 2008

My Pride

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

...Took a Risk

Last week, I opted to nominate this blog for a grassroots award and today, I learned that it failed to make it to the top five nominees. The criterion for being among the top five was the number of people who tagged it. I sent a note to the award originator, asking why my blog wasn't included in the voting list and he had to explain the criterion to me, which he did gently.

A good sport was what I needed to be, and so I wrote back, "Maybe next year! Meanwhile, I'll be sure to vote. Thanks for organizing this. It's fun." And then honorably/heroically/heart-brokenly, I voted.

Do I feel ashamed that the blog didn't make it to the Top 5? Yes. Did I want to win, let alone be among the Top 5? Yes. Was it a realistic wish? Not necessarily.

A great quote from the Bhagavad Gita soothes me slightly...if only I could heed it: "On action alone be thy interest, never on its fruits."

2 comments:

Ruchi Bhatia said...

Wish you too had made it to the Top 5. Neverthless, Glad this reminded of quote fm Bhagvad Gita.

I am amazed, how u did u learn abt it ? Very nice..though !

Cheers,
Ruchi

Sarah Siegel said...

Ruchi, thanks for your kind comment. Certainly, I'm no Bhagvad Gita scholar. Probably, I saw it in some aphorisms database. I really like the sentiment...whenever I can remember to follow it.