Translate

Friday, December 26, 2008

Time

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

What to Do About an Unusual Abundance of It

This is so uncomfortable. Typically, I'm grousing to myself about how I wish I had more time. Today, being on vacation, I have all the time in the world and don't know what to do with myself.

I know that Pat and I will go swimming in 30 minutes, and I know we said we wanted to go to synagogue tonight, but I feel rebellious and like I don't want to swim. I want to walk. And I don't want to go to synagogue. I want to stay home and eat Chanukah party leftovers for dinner.

It is natural that I'm decompressing from the non-stop pace of big projects at work plus my part-time Masters program, and yet, I'm feeling guilty, like I'm frittering away precious time.

It's a little disorienting to have such an unstructured schedule. What is discipline? Should it apply during a vacation? Or would I do better to just let myself rest, be dormant, stay static, "veg out?"

No comments: