Translate

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Celebrating a Day of Leisure

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

Easier Than I Feared

Could I let go, I wondered upon waking yesterday morning. Would I allow myself a solid, day-long break, whether or not there was "time" for it?

Yes!

We showed Channa the address and he said, "It's the beauty parlor, ma'am?"

"Not that we need it," Pat offered.

He didn't get her joke. I did and laughed generously.

Here was the soundtrack of our ride, played by Radio Indigo, 91.9 FM from around 10-10:30 am:

While hearing R. Kelly, I looked up at a billboard of a woman in a sari, which read, "Buying a TV without Tata Sky is like celebrating Diwali without lights." In parallel, as we passed a gas station, Pat asked Channa if gas was sold in litres here, and then converted it and determined that gas costs around US$4/gallon here(!)

Next, we heard:

Music makes anything possible. I am so grateful for it. On the way home, we listened to two movie soundtracks we had bought from Planet M on MG Road: "Saawariya," which Pat had wanted to buy, and which was a bit too slow for my taste, and "Om Shanti Om," which hit the spot with its faster, more cheerful pace.

A U.S. friend wrote to me over the weekend and mentioned the two newest songs she has written, including, "An artist friend of my parents once said that all we really have of people in history is their art. It is art that tells us where we've been etc. One could argue that there is more than art. But she did make a good point--an awful lot of what survives humans--and is worth preserving--is their art."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gas is almost $4 per gallon in the U.S. now, too. I filled up over the weekend and it was $3.49/gallon for 87 octane. I know prices are a little higher in California, but you'll be shocked at how much fuel has shot up while you've been gone.

Sarah Siegel said...

On "Namaste Yoga Guru" (see the link on my blogroll), a colleague from Target, who I met while she was still an expat and who is now a repatriate, writes about re-entry and how difficult it is even to remember how to drive after nine months away from it.