Translate

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Goin' Swimmin'

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

Ladies' Night at the YMHA

Typically, Pat and I swim on Sunday mornings, but she volunteered at a park today with her Master Gardeners class crew and I stayed home to catch up on work/school.

Ladies' Swim is from 6-7 pm, and it'll be me with all of the ultra-Orthodox women, who don't want to swim when men are swimming, for modesty reasons.

Before I go, I want to mention a Sunday "New York Times" magazine article that chilled me: The author tried to throw a party in real-life and invited all of his 700 Facebook friends, and only one showed up. The other day, it hit me that I'm essentially having an I-It relationship with most of the people whose friendship connections I accept or offer. Martin Buber would agree.

I do believe that I can have, and have had, I-Thou moments with people via e-mail and social network sites, but too often, if I'm honest with myself, they're just objects with human names....

No comments: