Translate

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Parting Words

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

I Felt Compelled to Say Something

Standing in the largest Jewish cemetery I've ever seen, in Valhalla, New York, yesterday afternoon, I said to Rickee's husband, gesturing sweepingly at my suit with my hand, "Rickee made me look good!"

Rickee's husband, who was a grieving stranger to me, took my hand and kissed it. As he kissed my hand, I kissed his cheek and said, "I'm sorry for our loss."

A tall, white-haired man broke in and said, "I have to go, Roy, but...."

The older man was already delivering his message, as I spoke the rest of my statement loudly into the air while turning to go, "She was like a big sister, dressing me."

No comments: