Translate

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Homelessness That Most Would Envy

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.

I Should Be Too Ashamed to Complain

We have been living in a truly five-star hotel for more than a month. IBM Procurement must have negotiated a fantastic deal because this is even nicer than the Grand Hotel, where we took Pat's mom for vacation several years ago.

Last night, we celebrated the 15th anniversary of our first date by having the buffet dinner at the Raj Pavilion and then coming back to the room and watching a downloaded version of "The Closer." Each of the episodes is just US$2, and so Pat's going to download the rest of the season.

I haven't posted for a couple of days because work has been busy, but also because I didn't want to add an(other) entry on how I'm challenged during this adventure and prevailing....

Yesterday, I thought about how I haven't yet had many quintessentially Indian experiences, since I've mostly been working, for example, I haven't yet visited a temple, and then I realized, Yes, I have had quintessentially Indian experiences, just by living in the country, no matter how many stars the hotel has. Or maybe I've had quintessentially expatriate experiences, but either way, I'm a world apart from my life in Montclair, New Jersey.

A colleague suggested that the house we've chosen will not provide an authentic Indian experience, which annoyed me; I need to be functional at work above all, and so my home needs to be comfortable and quiet, like it is in the States. I don't want to feel defensive about this, but I do.

...But I'm Not

Our lease was supposed to be done and we were supposed to move into the house today. The owner said, No, he'll be ready instead on August 5th, and will turn over the keys only after the substantial, interest-free security deposit is wired to the bank here, which will be challenging to make happen by Friday (India time).

The only appealing part of this experience of renting a house so far is that the vendor IBM has us dealing with is called Writer Relocation. I like to imagine that I am a writer, being relocated. (Actually, it's just someone's last name; I checked the origin with our agent.)

Now, it must be apparent why I've stayed away from the blog. I'm cranky and unsettled. And just as Pat and I begin to feel most alienated by our opulent homelessness, someone here does something extra-touching, which melts us:

Last night, John, who drove me to work daily for the past month, and who has earned a promotion, so that he does not need to drive so small a car anymore, gave Pat and me a goodbye-card, including a long, hand-written letter, letting us know that we are "cool persons" and that the world is small, and that we will see each other in it in a different setting next time.

2 comments:

Dorothy (aka "Dee") said...

Hi, Sarah -- as you know, I too am a believer in experiencing the real India, and not "seeing India from inside a bubble." BUT -- April and I are in complete agreement that India is *so* challenging -- such an assault on all five senses -- that we, like you, need someplace cool and quiet to retreat to at the end of the day. So I hope that the final steps toward getting you into your upscale community go very smoothly and quickly.

That being said... I hope that you will find some time to explore India while you're there! I know how hard you work, and how deeply you want to be so, so, so successfully in this incredible assignment.... but I hope that you will be able to balance IBM and your nice new home with some exploration and adventures! Getting settled in your new home will likely free up some time and some energy. Pat posted pictures of a Shiva/Ganesh temple (the pictures made me smile -- Sri Ganesha *always* makes me smile - but you mention not having been to a temple yet. Has Pat been doing some exploring while you've been at work?

Namaste - Dorothy

Sarah Siegel said...

Have no fear. Pat and I have booked a flight to Kochi (was Cochin), and to Taj Mahal in the coming months. And we'll experience them, at a minimum. Pat also wants to go looking for tigers, but I think she'll be sad because I've read that they're elusive.

In Bangkok a couple of years ago for business, I was lucky to visit a number of temples the day before the meetings. My favorite part was walking around shoe-less. Immediately, I felt calmer.