Translate

Monday, August 6, 2007

New Routine

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Not an Oxymoron

Pat and I are amazed to be walking around a neighborhood that reminds us of a tropical Sheridan Road (Evanston, Illinois' fancy area, if I remember the street name correctly).

We decided to eat at the clubhouse last night. I signed us in and it was half the cost of hotel meals and still good food. The chef made me the cauliflower in yogurt dish that I love.

There are such glamorous moments here, and then the hardship of not being able to figure out the air-conditioning remotes, so that the room can be set for lower than 24 degrees celcius. We'll figure it out today, as I cannot have such a poor night's sleep again. (I know! Relatively, I should be ashamed to write the previous two sentences, but it *is* all relative, and I'm here to do a job that I need to be awake for.)

Now, I need to shower and blow-dry my hair with one hand, since I must hold the transformer against the outlet with the other, or it falls out....We'll break down and buy a local hairdryer before too long probably.

Being high-maintenance isn't sustainable here, though I'm trying.

3 comments:

Dorothy (aka "Dee") said...

"Being high-maintenance isn't sustainable here, though I'm trying." Thanks for the giggle - April also struggles with her usual requirements when we're in India! Glad to see that the move actually did happen... good luck working out the kinks.... and yes, if buying a local hairdryer eliminates one small daily stress, then by all means, do buy a local hairdryer!

Anonymous said...

congrats on finally moving to your own place! as glamourous as that hotel was, it must be nice to be in a home. but then, as a friend of mine once said, home is where the luggage is!

:)

Sarah Siegel said...

Thanks for the good wishes. We're nearly accustomed to the place now....If only I could get rid of the pervasive smell of mothballs in the clothes closets. The smell is acrid.

I've gotten good with the blowdryer; now, if only I could figure out how to get a moderately hot shower!