Translate

Sunday, September 16, 2007

My Computer's Fan Died

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Managing My Dependency

This morning, I discovered that the fan died in my nearly-four-year-old lap-top computer. There is no tech support for employees in India on Sundays. Fairly ironic.

I'm borrowing Pat's machine to post blog entries today. It's amazing how attached I am to my own machine. I'm also wondering what will happen to my iTunes -- a couple of birthday presents' worth of music that I'd love not to lose.

What would Leo LaPorte do?

When I've had parts of my lap-top repaired in the past, I've been able to overnight my machine to a place, where they've replaced it with a re-furbished machine. I wonder how possible that will be here. There must be a similar system, mustn't there?

My computer malfunction has to be a sign that I should go off-line and do some reading for school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your fan repair! Thanks for the Leo LaPorte link. Never heard of him before. Zach may already know him, but if not, he'll probably love the site.
Was away in Baltimore accompanying Jean to Johns Hopkins the last couple of days. Am working my way through your blog updates.
Love,
Kathy

Sarah Siegel said...

Miraculously, it's alive now again...but I think I'll have to get it fixed soon.

Pat listens to Leo LaPorte's podcasts all the time. She taught me about him.

He has a History degree from Yale and got into computers at some point. Zach will indeed love him.

Anonymous said...

If it's just the fan, I bet you can just swap out the hard drive to a new shell and keep on going. But that's probably old news to you by now. Good luck