Translate

Saturday, September 1, 2007

To the Land of the Coconuts...

The postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions, strategies or opinions.

...from the Garden State

A year ago, I was reading book I was assigned to read in preparation for my grad. school orientation, on American education. I was so earnest.

I am so earnest. Only now, a year later, I'm doing an independent study with a great professor I had during my first semester. She's helping me with my field research.

I'm in the middle of some field research right now. What a dilemma. I'm in Kerala, which I'm told translates as "Land of the Coconuts" and it's breathtakingly beautiful...and I'm hard at work for work and school.

Some months ago, a mentor told me that it's more fun to take pure vacations than to go places, but to have to work while there. I couldn't really relate. Now, I can. I had to leave Pat in Bangalore, since none of my colleagues brought their families -- at least I felt I had to.

I feel like I need to make it up to Pat. She definitely wants a present to make up for my absence, she told me before I left.

Day 2 starts at 7 am. Warning: I'm about to whine for a moment; not only am I not taking off for U.S. Labor Day while in India, I'm working the entire Labor Day Weekend. Also, I didn't take off the 4th of July or Indian Independence Day. I do not feel at all guilty that we'll go on a short trip in two weeks, during Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

We'll also go to the Taj Mahal in the coming months. I can't wait for those experiences.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
I'm so annoyed. I wrote a long comment this morning and it didn't go through.
How did your project go? I hope your friend's input was helpful.
News here - Saw Dvori, Nir, their baby Ori and Eli with Mom and Deb's family on Friday. May see Eli tomorrow. Dvori and Nir went back home yesterday, for good.
Elliot and Zach went for an eight hour fishing trip yesterday. Predictably, Zach ended up puking, even though we dosed him ahead of time. They came back empty handed. Amazingly, Zach says he wants to do it again. Not me. The choice between feeling like a lifeless zombie on dramamine v. feeling like a nauseated, puking zombie without it holds no appeal.

Hope all is well. Where are you going for Rosh Hashanah? We'll be home, then taking Jean down to Baltimore to Johns Hopkins for an appointment with a neurologist.

Love you,
Kathy

Sarah Siegel said...

It went marvelously well. Thanks for asking, and for helping me prepare for it through your coaching. Now, I can enjoy the sight of the beach and the waves of the Arabian Sea without it continuously on my mind...maybe.

Mom and I just had a nice chat, about how I need to be good to myself. I am in terms of intellectual stimulation, but I need to cover the basics, too, like more sleep, rather than an avg. of six hours/night this past week....At least the project's done now, and our clients said they were pleased.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, I'm catching up on your blog after being on the road for what seems like a month. This is a message for Kathy actually :-) Gerard likes Bonine instead of Dramamine. He says Dramamine used to make him feel "floaty" but that Bonine doesn't yet it seems to work very well for him.