Translate

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Lively Conversation

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

...About Resisting Suicide

A gay colleague from a far-away country and I met face-to-face for the first time today after having found each other through our gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender (GLBT) employee group's community database. "We're good at connecting with each other," he said, referring to GLBT people.

"Well, it's back to any of us having tried to kill ourselves in high school," I replied. My colleague had told me of a mother, who had found her son's diary after the boy on whom the son had had a crush rejected him. The friend hadn't been violent, but instead had given the son a book that equated homosexuality with insanity. "Once we find out we're not the only ones, we want to connect with people like us," I said.

I agreed with him that though I've never literally attempted suicide, I've always felt most like killing myself whenever --

"-- you've felt alone," he finished my sentence.

"Right! Exactly."

In the jobs we have, both of us are in the position to help a lot of people, and we do routinely. I'm glad that neither of us ever killed ourselves.

No comments: