Translate

Thursday, February 26, 2009

What's the Difference...

The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent IBM's positions, strategies or opinions.

...Between Reflection and Critical Reflection?

For much of my life, I feel I've been reflective, and since April, 2007, I've been especially reflective, as that's when I launched this blog...but what's the difference between plain-old reflection and critical reflection? Thinking and critical thinking?

Historically, I would have said that reflection and thinking in any case would be good, but ever since starting this Masters Program in Organization & Leadership with a specialization in Adult Learning and Leadership, everyone's always talking about critical thinking and critical reflection.

I know I've read chapters on both for school over these two years, but if someone had a gun to my head right now, God forbid, I don't know that I could provide the distinction between critical thinking and default thinking, or critical thinking and critical reflection....Maybe *reflection* means it has to be aloud somehow, whether orally or in writing, whereas thinking can remain in one's head and never feel a breeze.

With a sleeping cat on my lap right now, I feel tranquil, I feel menstrual cramps less acutely and I feel cozy, but I do not feel like thinking critically, let alone doing critical reflection.

No comments: